The Early Childhood Outdoor Play Assessment Kit
Early child care programs, child care facilities, Head Start programs, and state agencies are faced with the challenges of meeting national and state standards for playground safety, avoiding legal liabilities, balancing budgets, and providing a safe, yet fun, play environment for all children.
The NPPS Early Childhood Outdoor Play Assessment Kit for early childhood outdoor play environments was developed to guide inspection of the outdoor space, including topics on supervision, safety of equipment, outdoor curriculum, safety of loose parts, toys, and outdoor materials, ADA compliance, age appropriateness, environmental hazards, safety of surfacing materials, and equipment maintenance.
In addition, the kit is geared to help agencies determine whether or not the outdoor environment meets national and state guidelines and best practices. This kit is designed to be used by early childhood health and safety inspectors and advocates, educators, human service professionals, licensing consultants, playground maintenance technicians, and insurance agents.
The kit will guide you to:
- Assess how well your equipment and surfacing material matches national standards, guidelines, and best practices for safety.
- Discover if your outdoor environment meets ADA regulations.
- Protect your children and students from known hazards.
- Essential information for planning S.A.F.E.™ quality outdoor environments.
The kit includes:
- The Early Childhood Inspection Manual for Playgrounds and Outdoor Environments
- Detailed Safety Checklist for Outdoor Environments for children ages 6 to 23 months and 2-5 years
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission’s Handbook for Public Playgrounds
- S.A.F.E.™ Play Areas: Creation, Maintenance, and Renovation
Rush orders may require additional shipping fees. NPPS reserves the right to limit quantities based on availability. Products purchased from NPPS are non-refundable. If you have questions, please call 1-800-554-PLAY.