*Unfortunately, there is no Safety School planned for 2013. If you are in need of playground safety training, please consider participating in one of our online training options.
This nationally recognized safety school has been offered since 1997. The National Playground Safety School is held annually at NPPS's headquarters in Cedar Falls, IA. This school can be offered at your site on a contractual basis.
- What you will learn
- Should I attend?
- What you will gain
- One-on-one consultation
- S.A.F.E. Playground Certification
- S.A.F.E. Certification gains
What you will learn
Understanding Safe Outdoor Play Environments
Identify the most common playground problems and how to fix them. Recognize potential problems. Learn how to document. Explore which surfaces you should use under and around your equipment. Discover the most important thing you can do to prevent playground injuries.
Planning for Outdoor Play Environments
Apply the elements of S.A.F.E. Look at what you need to know to supervise children on playgrounds. Examine how to make informed decisions about safe playground equipment. Learn how your playground helps promote child development. Discover how easily you can recognize accidents waiting to happen. Examine the features of good playground design.
Should I attend?
The content, depth, and scope of the National Playground Safety School is unique.
Will you benefit from the approach?
- Yes, if you like a limited class size that allows you to interact with your instructors.
- Yes, if you appreciate hands-on activities where you immediately apply what you learn.
- Yes, if you're interested in lowering your organization liability exposure.
- Yes, if you think a comprehensive and cost-effective approach to safety is important.
- Yes, if you appreciate easy-to-understand terms that relate cutting-edge information in everyday language.
- Yes, if your playground could use technical assistance and advice from experts.
- Yes, if you'd like to learn four key areas to prevent injuries on your playgrounds.
What you will gain
You'll leave with more than knowledge, skills, and resources to apply right away.
You'll receive a comprehensive manual including space for notes, an in-depth summary of the classes, appendix material, and suggested readings. You'll use this resource again and again for recalling key points, updating documentation, or generating ideas.
A valuable benefit of attending the Safety School is the personal networking opportunities. In addition to expert faculty, you'll meet others facing the same issues and challenges you are. Discover what works for them and have a ready source of ideas to use - both now and in the future.
Continuing Education Units
By completing the entire course, you are eligible for 3.0 General CEUs for professional development.
An unbeatable team of instructors
Playground Safety School sessions are taught by playground safety experts reflecting the many facets of playground development: manufacturers, designers, child development, and leisure services professionals.
As an added benefit of attending the Safety School, you'll get expert advice for your toughest and most-unique playground challenges. Make sure to bring along photographs, a site map, and anything else that shows the elements of your play area that you'd like to discuss. At specified times during the school, you'll have the opportunity to share your concerns one-on-one with our playground safety experts and receive suggestions for change.
S.A.F.E. Playground Certification
Get certified! The National Playground Safety School is offering S.A.F.E. playground certification. Become part of a nationwide network of S.A.F.E. playground educators by completing this course and passing the certifying exam covering S.A.F.E. playgrounds.
Gains of National Playground Safety School S.A.F.E. Certification
- You gain a vital credential for raising the awareness of playground safety through the approved use of the S.A.F.E. playground curriculum.
- The endorsement of NPPS.
- S.A.F.E. playground teaching materials to help educate others on the importance of playground safety.
- Ongoing consultation with NPPS.
The S.A.F.E. certification exam is scheduled on the closing day. Cost for the exam is $100.