The National Program for Playground Safety brings you interactive online courses that cover a variety of topics on developing and maintaining safe and appropriate play environments for children. Courses are run through the University of Northern Iowa’s online learning system and can be taken on your own time at your own pace. CEUs are available.
Upon completion of all course requirements participants will receive a certificate from our national organization. Our courses have been approved for training credit by multiple state licensing agencies. Please contact your licensing agency with any questions on training credit approval specific to your state.
Visit our Online Course Help page for more information on the online learning environment.
Courses currently taking registrations:
- Playground Supervision for Child Care Providers
- Early Childhood Outdoor Play Inspectors Program Certification Course
- Early Childhood Outdoor Play Inspectors Program Recertification
- Elementary Schools and Youth/Community Programs Outdoor Play Inspectors Program Certification Course
The following courses are developed but no offerings are currently scheduled. If you have a large group interested in scheduling one of these courses or are in need of additional information on these trainings please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Playground Supervision Training for Elementary Schools
- Playground Maintenance for Front-Line Workers
Courses Coming Soon!
Certified Supervisor for Outdoor Environments
- This is a 6 hour course that will be offered starting in April.
- Individuals who may be interested in this course include those who work with children and youth on a regular basis as well as child development teachers and staff, elementary teachers and staff, park and recreation programmers, directors, and administrators.
- Participants will be provided with an understanding of the roles and responsibilities of outdoor supervision for keeping children safe and active. They will be trained on supervision practices. Participants will learn the legal and moral responsibilities of keeping children safe, preparation procedures, how to check and anticipate dangers in outdoor environments, and learn best practices for active monitoring and emergency procedures.