- Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds
- Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds
- Provide Proper Surfacing Under and Around Playground Equipment
- Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained
Actions to Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds:
- Assist with the ongoing dissemination of information about the need for supervision on the playground.
- Develop criteria to be used by local agencies in their supervisory appraisal process.
- Produce descriptions of ways various equipment pieces should be used.
- Develop models of supervision that can be used at the local level.
- Provide a clearinghouse of information on supervisory practices.
Actions To Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds:
- Promote the use of the Consumer Product Safety Commission's Handbook for Public Playground Safety.
- Develop and promote information about design of age-appropriate playgrounds.
- Provide an evaluation form to be used on the local level to assess the age-appropriateness of playgrounds.
- Provide information to consumers through manufacturers about the developmental and age-appropriateness of specific playground equipment.
- Develop training workshops and seminars concerning the process of choosing and purchasing age-appropriate equipment.
- Identify and promote information about age-appropriate developmental characteristics of children.
- Provide training opportunities in the area of development and design of safe playgrounds.
- Develop information and products to help modify existing equipment to meet current safety guidelines and standards.
Actions to Provide Proper Fall Surfacing Under and Around Playground Equipment:
- Assist with the ongoing dissemination of information about appropriate playground surfaces.
- Develop educational programs on playground evaluation methods.
- Provide consumer friendly information through manufacturers about their products' conformances to current surfacing standards and guidelines.
- Disseminate information about various playground surfaces.
- Train individuals to recognize appropriate playground surfaces.
- Initiate research concerning playground surfacing.
Actions to Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained:
- Educate risk managers and insurance companies about the need for safe and sound maintenance practices and procedures.
- Disseminate information about maintenance policies and procedures.
- Conduct national studies on maintenance procedures and practices.
- Identify and promote information on good maintenance practices and procedures.
- Provide workshops and seminars in the areas of maintenance and inspections of playgrounds.
- Investigate the relationship between usage of playgrounds and maintenance requirements.
- Provide generic record-keeping computer programs to assist local agencies in compiling adequate records for maintenance and inspection.
- Provide lists of components needed for comprehensive playground safety maintenance programs.