- Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds
- Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds
- Provide Proper Surfacing Under and Around Playground Equipment
- Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained
Actions to Provide Proper Supervision On Playgrounds:
- Conduct an appraisal of supervisory needs.
- Create a supervisory blueprint for each playground.
- Educate children and adults about the safe use of playground equipment.
- Inform the general public about proper supervisory practices.
- Monitor current supervisory practices to determine areas where improvement can occur.
- Share data concerning effective supervisory practices with the National Program for Playground Safety.
Actions to Design Age-Appropriate Playgrounds:
- Assess current playgrounds for age-appropriate design.
- Review the United States CPSC's Handbook for Public Playground Safety for guidance in determining the correct size of equipment and appropriate physical layouts for playgrounds.
- Consult various publications for information concerning the developmental needs of children.
- Consider criteria for purchasing and selecting equipment.
- Compare selection criteria with manufacturer's description of equipment.
- Conduct regular evaluations of playgrounds to determine needed improvements.
- Develop a written plan for the a) retention, b) modification and c) acquisition of playground equipment.
Actions to Provide Proper Fall Surfacing Under and Around Equipment:
- Conduct an on-site investigation of current surfaces found under and around playground equipment.
- Examine all surfacing for depth, contamination, coverage and compaction.
- Advocate for safe surfaces under and around playground equipment.
- Consider necessary criteria for selection of new surfaces.
- Help provide data concerning proper surfacing to the National Program for Playground Safety.
Actions to Keep Playground Equipment Properly Maintained:
- Develop written maintenance and inspection policies for the ongoing maintenance, repair and replacement of playground equipment and surfacing.
- Develop joint maintenance agreements between agencies who share playground facilities.
- Review maintenance practices and procedures.
- On an ongoing basis, provide maintenance personnel with training on playground assessment, inspections, and maintenance procedures.
- Maintain documentation for all playground equipment and surfaces.